~Latest News~

Indie Artist Spotlight: J. Hollins

Monday, December 14, 2009 , Posted by Anonymous at 12/14/2009 11:58:00 PM


Chi-town native – J. Hollins – vocally harmonizes with amazing quality and vigor. You can feel the passion, desire, hunger and ambition within every layer of his music. This drive most likely originated from the singers amazing journey through the music industry. Hollins was originally discovered while harmonizing in a local group, which led to a record deal with a major label. As the seasons changed, so did the fruitful nature of that opportunity. He further went on to enjoy success overseas with a release of an EP in the UK. After many years of industry ups-n-downs, frustration drove him to become independent of major label schemes, set-backs and disappointments. A life-changing decision was made to go Indie and he hasn’t missed a stride since. Block Bleeders Entertainment came to life with the help of - long time friend - “The Grind King” (Rhasheem Mohammad). Their debut mix tape “This is me” was released back in 2004 and it immediately ripped the Windy City’s airwaves. Mr. Hollins later went on to drop his first full-length album that was justly named “Untitled”, as it is hard to categorize this amazing artist under one style or genre. Donned as the “Rock-n-Soul Star” because of how he smoothly brews R&B, soul, rock, hip hop and gospel all into one; J.Hollins has one exceptional sound. He’s currently preparing to drop a new LP “The Soul Renaissance LP”. I had a chance to speak with the up and coming R&B crooner:

EDK: Tell the readers about your start in such a competitive market?
JH: Basically I’ve been singing since I could talk. [laughing] I was signed to a major label –who I’m not going to name – and that didn’t really work out. Then I was in a group that kind of fizzled out over a period of time. The group broke up, one guy did gospel the other got into real estate. Along the way I ran into couple of old friends and we began dropping mix tapes.

EDK: The new project is called “The Soul Renaissance LP”. What can we expect?
JH: You can expect that same feeling you got when you first heard a Jodeci or Boyz 2 Men CD. Or just like when you play Dru Hill’s first record. You know like when R&B sounded like R&B. Now you can’t tell if you’re listening to Dem Franchise Boyz or Mario. Everybody is chasing the hits so much that they forgot what real R&B was.

EDK: The 2nd official leak off of the album is “I wish”, which is a pretty nice cut by the way. Break down the concept of this song to our readers.
JH: I really went through that! Antoine Jenkins produced that track and he knows everything I’m capable of vocally - even more than I do. Sometimes he pushes me to the point that I want to strangle him then show him love afterwards. He actually sent me the track. I wasn’t feeling it at first. Then my pain began leaking out of the pen. As men we all have made the “Tiger Woods mistake”. You don’t know it’s going to hurt that much until the prospect of losing her comes into play. In short, I was feeling that (emotion) when I recorded it.

EDK: On your website you stated “mainstream R&B is in a soul-less state.” Elaborate.
JH: You used to look forward to a release and you knew that you were getting an R&B record. All this rapping and bull!@$% (these singers do) is not R&B. I’m not saying it’s got to be all classic R&B, but when I play Rhythm and Blues, I want to hear Rhythm and Blues. I want to hear music like Anthony Hamilton, Maxwell or Robin Thicke. It seems like everything else has that rap song bass line to it. Somewhere the lines got blurred. I’m not knockin’ it because even I have some hip-hop features but you can’t blur the lines until you can’t tell anymore. It seems to be all about poppin’ bottles and taking a shorty home. Nobody makes records for the average 9-5 guy or the regular chic anymore. [Everybody aint living like that.
(pause)That’s not the definition of R&B.] The state of R&B music has been brainwashed.

EDK: What are you bringing to the table the help change the current status quo?
JH: I come from a completely different cut of cloth than these other industry dudes. I always keep it 100. [I’m me.] I can do a great Anthony Hamilton but I do a wonderful me.

EDK: What artist/producer do you strongly desire to do collaboration with?
JH: Really? Honestly? Imma be straight up candid...no one. I know what fits me. I know what I’m going for and alot of these beats out here sound like what I’m not looking for. I know my lane. Maybe Eric Roberson if I had to choose one though. I really appreciate what he’s doing. Possibly whoever is behind Musiq Soulchild’s production.

EDK: What advice can you give to those who are new to the game?
JH: This is the music business! With an emphasis on business. Get your business in order!

EDK: Any word on the final release date for the album?
JH: Feb 9th is the album release. Man, I might just put it on the website for free for the first month. The people are so starved for good music that I just want to give it to them, literally.

EDK: Where can your fans keep stay updated and find more of your music?
JH: They can hear the new single “Because of You” at www.JHollins music.com or MySpace. I live on twitter though! [laughing]There’s another J.Hollins on there, that’s not me though. Mine is spelled with a capitol J and a capitol H. Other than that they can Google me.

EDK: There you have it. We appreciate your time J and what you are bringing to the music game, for the better. The new single is bangin'. Imma be sure sure to keep pumpin' your music. We need more artist like you bro.
JH: [Thank you man. 'Preciate for the interview...Peace.]

EDK: Peace.

Be on the look out for the new J.Hollins CD "The Renaissance LP". His sound is not only exciting, soulful and original but it also helps to bring back the "true" sound of R&B that we've been missing. Big ups J. One.

Currently have 0 comments:

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment