~Latest News~

Indie Artist Spotlight: ANTONIO "A&R" RICHARDSON

Saturday, March 6, 2010 , Posted by Anonymous at 3/06/2010 11:00:00 AM



Eardrum Krushez was recently given the opportunity to speak with Minnesota based hip-hop artist Antonio A&R Richardson. This young man is aggressively breaking into the mainstream spotlight with his unmatched work ethics and non-stop hunger for success. Objective #1: Put Minnesota on the map. From writing the theme song for (MLB All-Star Catcher) Joe Mauer to performing at the Metrodome to entertaining fans at the Target Center to acting in major brand commercials - this lyricist knows how to move the crowd. The “man with a mission” took a few moments to speak with EDK…..

EDK: TELL OUR READERS ABOUT GROWING UP IN MINNESOTA?
AR: [Contrary to popular belief] we have a lot of drugs, violence and gangs in St. Paul. I was mostly into sports [when I was younger] but music has always been my first love.

EDK: WHO'S BEEN YOUR MAJOR INFLUENCE IN THE RAP GAME?
AR: Ice Cube. Death Certificate is like my “hip-hop Bible”. That’s the album, still to this day, that I listen to front to back. It basically explains everything that the average black male goes through. (laughing) Early on, I [even] used to have the ‘fro with the pic in my hair.

EDK: SO YOU PAY ATTENTION TO AND FOLLOW THOSE WHO HAVE HAD SUCCESS AND LONGEVITY IN THE GAME?
AR: I’m a history addict. I believe in studying and knowing what came before you. It’s the only true way to make a long impact not just one little shock. You take bits and pieces of what everybody has done and make it your own.

EDK: KNOWLDEGE AND PRESENTATION ARE DEFINITELY KEY FACTORS IN ANYTHING THAT YOU DO.
AR: I’ve paid attention to everyone from The Beetles to Frank Sinatra. You not only loved their music but you loved them as a person. They’re the type of people that you wanted to invite into your home. You wanted to have dinner and a conversation with them because they were so interesting. You liked the way they rocked an outfit or something that they quoted. The whole package [and that’s what I incorporate into my music].

EDK: WITH THAT IN MIND, WHAT'S YOUR NUMBER ONE GOAL IN THIS INDUSTRY?
AR: I want to teach people through my music and make [Minnesota] a major scene. I’m trying to break a region on the map that hasn’t been broken. It’s my destiny. You miss 100% of the shots that you don’t take.

EDK: HOW DID MAKING THE THEME SONG FOR JOE MAUER COME ABOUT?
AR: He was having a private New Year’s Eve Party and [the DJ] played my single “Whatchu Wanna Do”. Joe came over, we started talking and the rest is history. The premier was one of the biggest moments in my career! Being an unsigned artist and having your song premier in front of 50,000 people is crazy!

EDK: TRUE. EVEN BEING OFFERED THAT OPPORTUNITY - AS A HIP HOP ARTIST - SAYS ALOT ABOUT YOUR STATURE AND WORK ETHICS.

EDK: YOU WROTE AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY TITLED “It Was Written…The Unsigned Memoir”. BRIEF OUR READERS ON THE BOOK.
AR: [I wish I could have read Ice Cubes’ or Rakims’ autobiography when I was younger and knew more about them as men, not just rappers.] You knew about their environment but you really didn’t know the person. I’m trying to develop a relationship [with my fans]. I don’t want fans that are here for one song and then they’re gone. I want them to know who I really am. I’m real excited to see how people will receive it.

EDK: GIVE US A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A&R.
AR: Everyday I’m up at 5:55am. I’m [similar] to a Wall Street guy [up early, drinking coffee and following the stock market]. I’m up reading every single hip-hop website and checking my Google alerts. If you’re trying to get into an industry then you need to know everything about it. I’m making phone calls, doing interviews, editing videos and writing. [I don’t take any off days, not even my birthday.] That’s how serious I am and how much I want it!

EDK: I CAN FEEL THAT. THE ONLY WAY TO GO GET IT IS...TO GO GET IT!

EDK: WHAT CAN EXPECT FROM THE LP AND WHEN?
AR: I’m putting together something real nice so I’m shooting for July. [The new mixtape The Godfather of the Outcast will drop on March 10th] Expect nothing less than classic [material] from me. I want to incorporate the joy, the pain and the tough subjects that people don’t want to talk about. [My music] is something that everybody can relate and adapt to.

EDK: ANYTHING GOING ON OUTSIDE OF MUSIC?
AR: [I’m about to do Fashion Week and currently working on a new sponsorship with 3 Olives Vodka.] I’m also spokesman for The Graves Disease Foundation and I got some benefit concerts [for that cause] coming up soon. So I’ll be out there [on the grind].

EDK: THAT'S WASSUP. SUM ANTONIO A&R RICHARDSON UP IN ONE STATEMENT.
AR: (silence) Somebody you’ll never forget.

EDK readers stay on the lookout for this up-and-coming rap artist. He’s bringing something fresh, original and solid to the game. You can find his music and stay updated @ www.AnRmusic.blogspot.com www.twitter.com/anrmusic www.myspace.com/anrmusic www.facebook.com/anrmusic

Peace.

J. Ameer

Currently have 0 comments:

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment